As you may know, our treasurer, Gail Quartly-Bishop, will be stepping down from this post at the end of 2023. Up until now, we have been unable to find someone from among the membership who is willing to take over.
If we are not able to find a volunteer, we may be forced into looking beyond the membership and employing an accountant/bookkeeper. This would be the first time the Society has had to do this and is something we would like to avoid.
You would not need to be a member of the BBS to carry out this role, and bryological expertise is not a requirement!
Below is the current list of duties:
- To keep the accounts of the Society and prepare an annual statement which has been approved by an Independent Examiner of the Accounts nominated by the Council.
- To prepare an annual budget, estimating expenditure in each area of activity in consultation with the appropriate officer.
- To submit to the Spring Council meeting:
- the current year’s budget estimate together with the previous year’s estimated and actual expenditure and
- preliminary accounts for the previous year.
- To make a financial report to the Autumn Council meeting.
- To submit a full account for the previous year and the budget for the current year for publication in the Trustees’ Annual Report.
- To receive the Society’s income, to keep watch on expenditure, and to invest surplus funds within the appropriate CCLA account or such account as Council decides.
- To pay all reasonable bills rendered to the Society, and to ensure that insurance premiums are paid so that all necessary insurances are up to date.
- To recompense officers for their expenditure on behalf of the Society.
- To serve on the Executive Committee.
Job descriptions can often sound a little intimidating, but if you want to know more about what is involved, you can contact Gail (email@example.com) who would be happy to go through the duties with you and make them a little less daunting than they seem.
If you think you may be interested in this important role, please contact the General Secretary, Jeff Scott (firstname.lastname@example.org).